Apr 16, 2007

Yann Martel is a genius!

"For as long as Stephen Harper is Prime Minister of Canada, I vow to send him every two weeks, mailed on a Monday, a book that has been known to expand stillness. That book will be inscribed and will be accompanied by a letter I will have written. I will faithfully report on every new book, every inscription, every letter, and any response I might get from the Prime Minister, on this website."

So states novelist Yann Martel, on his hopefully ongoing website What is Stephen Harper Reading? Martel, after a ghastly five minutes in the House of Commons, decided that Prime Minister Harper (did a goose just walk over my grave as I wrote that?) will receive one new book every two weeks. Why? So that maybe, just maybe, during those few precious minutes every day that PMH might devote to its pages, he might gain a better comprehension on the importance of art to society.

Mr. Martel, I salute you.

Note: the site has no RSS feed as of yet, so you can't set a blogreader to alert you to new entries. Just have to remember to check.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...